Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Race

I picture from the start!
Mile 10...I think my knee is going to explode!
After the race! Clean and icing the knee:) (who's daughter with incredibly unkempt hair is standing in the background?!)

I'll start off by saying that I AM very happy about my time...
Saying that leads me to the rest of the story. So few weeks back I was having some IT Band issues and I was pretty sure I had kicked it. I had a trainer stretch the living daylights out of my leg,(which felt amazing afterward, during not so much) bought a foam roller and ALOT of ice. Did my 12 mile run and felt AWESOME! Good I was now injury free and ready for the big day! Then about a week and a half before as I'm tapering, only running at most 6 miles, I got this weird ache in my right quad. If any of you get leg aches, that's the best way I can describe the pain. So I ask around and no one knows. I was so nervous the night before that this new injury would keep me from running, but I pressed on, at least it wasn't even comparable to how the IT hurts! Get up go to the race, ready to go! Mile 2 knee feels tight. YIKES! I tried to think it was all in my head, but by the 3rd mile it was starting to HURT. Every mile I kept thinking it's got to go away right?! WRONG! I was almost ready to bail at mile 7 and then I see my mom and Ryan so I get a burst of energy and press on. By the time I get to mile 10 I'm really hurting, but by that point why quit right? Oh and by the way my other leg was fine, or maybe it was that the knee hurt so BAD that I didn't notice that minor injury. So I booked it as fast as my gimpy legs could the last 3 miles. The quicker to the finish, the sooner the pain would stop! Needless to say not the best half experience of my life.:( That being said, my goal was a 8:45 mile pace putting the time right around 1 hour 54 min.

The official stats:
Urban Wildland Half Marathon
August 1, 2009
Bib # 277
1hour 53min, 8:38 mile pace
54 out of 218 in my age division
146th out of 617 females
434 out of 1142 total runners

So again I am really happy I beat my goal! But for those of you that are runners will understand when I say, I ran that on a bum leg...what could I have done without the stabbing pain in my knee?! Oh well I guess that leaves me a goal for the next one. And again I'm sure some of you think I'm nuts, but I just love to run! The pain did not deter me from wanting to do another. I know part of the reason I have this knee problem is that I wasn't cross training enough some my other leg muscles weren't strong enough, causing the IT band tightness. So now I just need to learn to train better with cross training. And that's what life is all about, learning and improving! But rest assured running is off the list for the next month:)So here's to the next one!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohmyheck, every time I hear your running stories, I'm so embarrassed at how slow I am!? I won't remind you what Heather and mine's 1/2 mar time was this last spring, but it was embarrassingly slow, and we were perfectly healthy!? :)

Rita Christiansen said...

Great job Katie! That's an awesome time!

Tara and Bryce Raleigh said...

congrats katie that is awesome and look at those buff legs!!!