Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lessons in Motherhood

Motherhood is a constant learning opportunity. Like most things in life.
With your first you're so overly excited to teach your child everything you know. You can't wait until they sit on your lap and listen to you read them a book.
You can't wait to feed them their first spoonful of that awesome cereal.
You can't wait for them to roll over, crawl, take their first steps. It's so much fun, and such a miracle to watch these tiny people we create learn about life and the world around them.
Not that with subsequent children it's any less of a miracle, but in my case
having twins, my first year with them was pure survival. That was the only goal I had in mothering them.
Survive each day as a mother of 3 under the age to 2!
I don't remember most of that year. When I read to them? I did record some of their firsts but there not as prevalent in my mind as Caden's where.
This sort of makes me sad. I wish I would have remembered and cherished those moments.
This past week Brooke was crawling around and was playing with some books.
Then it hit me. I hadn't read to her yet. 9 months old and I hadn't read to my baby!
I felt awful. I pulled her little body on my lap and read to her until she got bored. Which surprisingly she lasted through about 6 books. She was just soaking it all in.
I think as we become mothers to multiple children we get consumed with the day to day things of life, dishes, laundry, lunches, homework, cleaning(this is mine) and so on.
We forget to take time to enjoy each moment with the younger ones. They kind of get pulled along, learning from their siblings. I know that there's no way to focus all my attention on Brooke, I do have three other children, but I do need to take those moments when
the others are preoccupied, to spend time with her instead of getting the next thing checked off my list. So my goal is to spend sometime during the day reading to her.
I love being a mother and I love learning ways to become a better one!

By the way we finally had her 9 month check up.
She was 28 inches long
19lbs.
Right in the middle.
She seems so big comapred to Kylee, but Kylee is still in the 10th for wieght.
Brooke's just right. And sweet.

1 comment:

Tara and Bryce Raleigh said...

ahhh so sweet! can't wait to meet your Brookie!