Thursday, July 21, 2011

I believe!

I have been on a quest this summer. To find something to help heal my leg. Yes, so I can run.
I have tried many different therapies. Some I had used when I had this problem before.
When that didn't work, I tried acupuncture which my run coach swears by.
When he could no longer help, I tried going to a physical therapy. That seemed to keep it from getting any worse, but no improvements.
I tried doing nothing for nearly two weeks and that didn't help either. Man I felt like this was just getting down right ridiculous. Would I ever be able to run again?!
So when one of my running friends told me to go to this chiropractor I thought why not, lets add to the list of things that may/may not help me!
This picture is the result of the therapy I have been getting. This picture doesn't quite do the bruises justice, but you get the idea. It hurts. Not unbearable, but man it's painful. The therapy is called ART technique. And I can say that it WORKS!
Last week was the first time since May I was able to run more than once in a week, and in fact I went 3 times! And for longer than 3 miles.
It's a slow process, cause at this point I can only do walk/runs, but hey I'll take it!
Today was a huge milestone for me, track run with my running group, and I didn't have to walk cause I had no pain at all! For me it felt like a miracle! 7 miles later and I almost felt like I had crossed a finish line. My group cheered me on. It truly was a triumphant moment.
This seems a little silly as I wright this, but this really has shown me how much running really is a part of my life. A part of who I am. I have done lots of other workouts, and they come and go. I go through phases of LOVING and trying other things, but the one thing that I just can't seem to give up is running. I have learned that I can still love running, even if there involves a lot of walking. This has also taught me A LOT of patience. It takes time to heal, and that's OK.
So here is to ART. and to the wonderful Dr. who is helping me get my running legs back, bruises and all!

No comments: