Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankful

I will never forget October 7, 2002. It's a day etched into my mind problably for the rest of my life.
It was a Monday. The weekend after General Conference. Ryan had had a horrible weekend coughing, barely getting any sleep.
We finally decided that he needed more than just some medicine, cause clearly that wasn't working.
He called me at work some hours later, and I will never forget our conversation.
The panic that set in, and the feeling, of this is not good.
The day was filled with scans, and doctors. And finally Ryan in the ICU.

Even though there were times that I thought that this was so unfair. He was young, we were newlyweds, his schooling was really tough, there were so many blessings that came from this trial in our lives. We gained so many close friends who took care of us. We had amazing doctors and nurses, who became like family to us.
As hard as that year was, it taught us a lot. I had a conversation with some friends some weeks ago about marriage in general.  How some people say they would never repeat their first year of marriage. I happen to disagree with this statement. I think I shocked them, and Ryan. Yes, watching him go through that ordeal was horrible. But our marriage, not at all. I loved every minute of it. Were their hard times, sure, but not cause of our marriage, because of our circumstances. I feel we handled it well. Doesn't' mean I didn't have melt downs, cause trust me there were plenty!
 When I look back now, I can be thankful. Thankful for what it taught me about myself, thankful for my spouse, and thankful for the gospel. No matter the outcome of tough situations, 
we are an eternal family. How great is that!? 
After a rough year we welcomed Caden into our family. What a blessing.
Thinking he may very well be our only child, and thinking it could take awhile if we were blessed with more children, not even two years later we were joined by our little spitfires, Kylee and Brandon. Brooke soon followed. I am so grateful for my family.
I am greatful for trials that test us and help us grow.
Most of all I am grateful for my husband. He is amazing. Who would have thought 9 years ago, that he would be a crazy triathlete, and father of four?!
Ryan, I love you!

1 comment:

keri said...

So sweet. Loved reading this. You do have an amazing family! Thanks for the reminder that trials are worth it.