Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Mom

So I'm doing this post a few days late, ( and yes I'm stealing this picture from holly's blog, I love this picture of my mom!) But I wanted to give a little "Shout out" as they say to my wonderful mother.
She has taught me so much over the years, and it's because of her that anything I do right as a mother to my own children is because of her. I am amazed at how much she really did for us as kids! I think back at ALL the things my mother taught me...
How to love the Lord and the gospel. She has been such a good example of service and dedication to our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. I can't remember a night that I went to kiss my mom goodnight that she wasn't down on her knees praying.
A good work ethic! She helped me and my sister with a bread business when I was 12 years old. She also was a saint and chaperoned while I did a kids camp the summer I was 13. Even though living in Mexico we had a maid, we still had daily chores, and Fela would get scolded if she did them for us.
Gardening, which I suppose could go under work ethic as well. Even in Mexico she tired to follow the prophet and grow a garden. As a teenager I HATED the garden! Hated weeding, hated watering, but did enjoy the benefits! She could be labeled slightly obsessed in this category, but since her main hobby is her family I think she's allowed to be, right? Because of this obsession I now in turn have started a garden, and actually LOVE it! It's so fun to watch my little garden grow! I love all the pretty flowers and enjoy watering:)
To be non judgmental. This has to be one of my mom's best qualities. Whenever I'm frustrated or angry at someone she always finds a way to put them in a good light. "You may not know their circumstances, maybe your reading into it" etc she would say... This is one quality that I hope I have acquired as a habit!
Cooking! I love my moms cooking! It's the best! And she learned from the best my lovely Grannie Oberg! It's because of her teaching me that my family is graced every so often with some home cooked meals. Ryan loves coming home from business trips to home cooked meals! Hopefully one day they will be as good as my moms.
Because of my mothers example, I in turn became a mother. I hope that I can be half the mother to my children that my mom was, and still is to me and my siblings. I don't know what I would do without her. I don't think I'd survive without cheap phone calls these days, we talk at least every other day, if not everyday, just to say hi! We constantly butted heads when I lived under her roof, and I probably wouldn't have been caught dead calling her my best friend. But now I am so proud to call her MY best friend! I am grateful that while I was living at home that she was my mother first, my friend second, and I hope I can remember that when my daughters are older and try to pull one over me!:)
I love you and am so proud to call you MOM!

No comments: