Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering




I will never forget that day. The things I heard, the things I saw, the things I did. It is forever etched into my mind and my heart.

 I have never blogged about 9/11, I don't even think that I have it written down in my journal. And only find it appropriate that I right down my feelings about this day on it's 10 year anniversary.
I had recently moved to Logan Utah, and school had yet to begin for me.
My cousin Heather and I were still asleep, when my cousin Rita came running into the house, up to our rooms and woke us up. She was in a panic, and told us to come down stairs. New York had been attacked, everyone on campus was going crazy, we needed to come down and watch the news.
Those words: attacked. Seared into my mind. Who ever, living in America would ever expect to hear those horrible words?!
This is what we turned on the TV to see:
The second tower being hit. This image over and over. Who could do such a thing?
 And this:
But this, this brought our country to a whole new level of unity. One that had been kept dormant, under the rug for awhile. I believe it awoke Americans up to the reality of what goes on in the world around us, that we had been sheltered from ourselves. Not only an awareness of keeping our country safe, but our families, friends and communities.
  
I remember walking to church that following Sunday, and seeing all the American flags flying. I don't think their was a house without one. Oh I love America. I had tears in my eyes.
We are a compassionate people. A loving people.
  
 Through this tragedy, brought hope, and a new sense of love of country that I had not seen in my day. It did not bring us down, but only made us stronger. So many brave men and women have put their lives on the line (and lost) so that we are safer, so that something like this won't happen again. It's easy to forget. I was having a conversation with my children about 9/11 back when they had caught Osama bin Laden. They had no clue who he was or anything about that day...What?! I thought. But of course they weren't even alive when this happened.  I hadn't ever brought it up before. That is why history needs to be kept alive. Not only through text books, but through us to our children, our families.
 I am so thankful for this amazing country that we live in. We are so blessed to have the freedoms that we enjoy. I think we all take it for grantid. 
It saddens me to see what is happening just on the other side of our borders. How close we are to so much danger. How we need to be thankful and grateful for those men and women who put on those uniforms to protect us. But above all, for a Father in Heaven who protects us when we need it the most. All we have to do is reach out to him in prayer. He will answer.


No comments: